Monday 28 September 2009

3.3 Internet/WWW

With one breath: A world-wide network of networks of networks, built on a client-server architecture, which uses existing lines of communication to exchange digital messages split into 'packets' of data and encoded via through network controller hardware using special protocols like http, ftp, telnet, and IPv4, enabling to connect and communicate with each other multiple types of computers (ranging from powerful, to less powerful, up to totally useless) - mostly sharing hyperlinked text and multimedia documents, or increasing computer power by combining processors from a number of machines 'over the cloud' . The DNS service translates the IP addresses to more human readable domain names, pointing to servers on which web applications are hosted, offering various services ranging from the ultra-professional enterprise scale, up to the most basic html blinking text web page, allowing software clients such as Firefox or Internet Explorer to access those through the aforementioned communication channels using URL's. (Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Working as a software developer, for a company that builds web applications, I've added my bit of html in some of the zillions of pages existing on the web right now - although most of the times deployment is an automated process and I don't think too much about it. Though for this part of my MSc course, to set up a simple web site, I’ve used all of the above protocols and technologies in this order:

Created three basic html pages with links to other websites - in one page I've used Google Earth's API and the iframe tag to show off my favourite place in the world. I thought that it made sense considering I'm doing an MSc in Geographic Information Science. Then used FTP (via SSH) to upload these files to my City file space, and published the pages using Telnet and the UNIX console: http://www.student.city.ac.uk/~abhp626/index.html

1 comment: